Equipment used to apply agricultural chemicals should be prepared for a period of downtime.
Preparing the sprayer for the post-season starts with a very thorough washing of all its components. This should be followed by a technical inspection, maintenance and replacement of worn components, checking the condition of the covers of all moving parts. On sprayers equipped with fans, the condition of the impeller should be checked. Then check the hoses of the liquid system, their condition and alignment, replace damaged components if necessary. Any areas with damaged paintwork should be cleaned and repainted with anti-corrosion paint. Loose screw connections should be tightened, the oil level in the pump and gearboxes should be checked. Finally, lubricate all lubrication points in accordance with the operating instructions and the exposed metal parts of important sprayer assemblies (pump and gearbox shafts, boom joints, boom lift and stabiliser guides, hydraulic cylinder pistons). The spring tension in the control valve and boom stabilisation system should also be reduced and the anti-drip valves loosened. It is necessary to thoroughly remove water from the liquid system, as freezing water can cause permanent damage to the sprayer, especially: pump, filters, control valve, nozzle bodies and liquid system lines. The sprayer should be garaged in a place with dry ground. It is also a good idea to put blocks or stands under the axles and lower the tyre pressure. Sensitive parts of the sprayer, e.g. the control panel, computer and display from the tractor cab, electronic flow meters, should be stored at room temperature, protected from dust and moisture. The preparation of the orchard sprayer is subject to the same rules, according to its design.
Wash and clean the fertiliser spreader thoroughly after the working season. Do not wash the spreader with a high-pressure water jet from close range. Then, depending on the spreader model:
- inspect the paint film, and clean the damaged areas of rust and dirt, degrease and apply a primer and then a topcoat (use paints designed for agricultural machinery),
- repair or replace damaged or worn parts,
- spray a protective oil mixture on the spreader, especially on metal parts,
- clean and lubricate the threads of the tensioning, fixing, adjusting and setting screws, as well as the chute and gate valve, with grease,
- check the condition of rubber components, V-belts, release their tension, replace if damaged,
- check condition of chain transmission, pin connections, lubricate with solid lubricant,
- check the condition of the hydraulic system, the efficiency of the manual flow regulator and any soiling of the filter in the hydraulic system; replace immediately if necessary,
- check the condition of the electronic installation with regard to the operation of each sensor,
- fill all lubrication points on the spreader with grease,
- keep in a dry room on a horizontal surface, only with an empty tank, in such a way as to prevent injury to people or animals.