Agricultural chemicals and waste management

Units for the disposal of hazardous waste

A farm is not obliged to have a contract with a company with a decision on waste disposal. Having a contract with a collector for the waste generated on the farm facilitates the management of this waste. Signing a contract with the waste collectors in advance will ensure a service when waste is generated and needs to be collected. It will also make it possible to verify that the waste company is in possession of up-to-date decisions checking the records of decisions on collection and transport.

You should also use the facilities that have been created by law, i.e.

  • returning the used battery to the point of sale when buying a new one; this is worthwhile because the seller, when selling a new battery or batteries, is obliged to add a so-called deposit fee to the selling price. If we return the used device, this fee is not charged,
  • returning used electrical and electronic equipment, used equipment containing hazardous elements (e.g. fluorescent lamps) to a collection point or handing it over to a point of sale; at present, some companies collect this type of waste directly from the household, also the supplier of new equipment is obliged to accept old equipment. This waste is classified as hazardous due to the use of materials which, if not properly managed, may pose a risk to the environment, such as mercury. Used equipment should be delivered to the locally appropriate PSZOK or handed over to a shop when buying new equipment,
  • returning the packaging of plant protection products to the point of sale.

Waste from agricultural activities is not included in municipal separate collection systems, unless otherwise stated in the municipal bylaws. The provisions of the Act on Maintaining Order and Cleanliness in Municipalities impose an obligation on the municipality to provide residents with waste collection, but only municipal waste collection.

For more details, see the Act of 13 September 1996 on Maintaining Cleanliness and Order in Municipalities (Journal of Laws 1996 No. 132, item 622)