The task of sustainable farming is to produce food in harmony with the environment. The awareness that the Earth's natural resources are limited requires taking care of soil, water and air used on the farm. The production process should support the reduction of the use of minerals such as gas and oil.
The principles of sustainable agriculture support the development of local rural communities. Common farmers' actions may concern soil management, shortening the food supply or supporting common ventures to protect the environment.
The farmers' profit
The farmer is a key link of the food value chain. He is the producer of food. In addition, he plays the service role towards the society, namely, he manages the environment and the landscape of rural areas. He receives support from the European Union for this activities. The primary source of income for a farmer is selling crops. Agricultural production is a complex and complicated process and the farmer must demonstrate a high level of certain powers
What for ?
Benefits for the environment
- Improving the environment, ie. air, soil, groundwater
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Reducing the consumption of energy from non-renewable sources
- Increasing biodiversity in the environment
Benefits to society
- Activation of local communities
- Increasing the attractiveness of the areas of sustainable agriculture - tourism
- Increasing the safety of food
- Improvement of working conditions on the farm
- Limitation of scandals with food products
Benefits for Farmers
- Improvement of the soil
- Meeting the expectations of customers and consumers
- New markets
- Improving the profitability of farms
- Diversification of farmers' income
- Acquisition of knowledge and experience
Building relationships. In the process of production the farmer must demonstrate a high level of managerial competence. One of them is to build relationships in terms of effective cooperation in a team, a group of people, making new contacts, maintaining good relationships with employees.
Expertise. Another competence necessary in the process of implementing the principles of sustainable agriculture is expertise. It is having the necessary knowledge required to work with a view to carry out ones tasks more and more efficiently. An important feature of this competence is actively seeking knowledge and sharing it with others.
Organization of work
Organization of work, which is the ability to proper planning of work (tasks, processes) by:
the ability to choose the right tools to achieve the objective, prioritization, efficient use of working time.